tisdag 13 maj 2014

Final Project

Final Project



After the childrens coloring in book I got more into making backgrounds and "filling" out the negative space. This was also about the time when I discovered Tomer and Asaf Hanuka.

Please go to the Printmaking final project page to see some information and illustrations. Also 10 extra digital color prints are to be found in the hard copy print of the blog. For both of my projects I also pretty much looked at the same artists. And literally a thousand random images and photos around the internet scrolling through wallpapers, pintrest and instragram.

Anyway, the style of drawing, the clever use of color and political messages interests me.

In the beginning my plan was to "relive my life" in drawings kind of thing and I planned to make smaller illustrations but more and turn all of that into a bug. After a crit review with Lesley and some own thought I decided to break it up into a serie of 6-8 bigger illustrations / collages about different events and times in my life.

Created a story board in the sketchbook early on to map out events in mty life and to be able to break it down into different ideas also in the sketchbook.

The period of time is from when I was around 4 years old to today with the series of images finishing of with a typography portrait of my self.

Similar to my personal project in Printmaking this project for me was about more developing my use in colors, backgrounds and simply to make my art look more finished so to say.

I decided to go for A2 size because I wanted them all to fit in the portfolio without being a photo or a smaller version. I also strongly believe that that's a more friendly size to have anywhere other than a big gallery which I am yet to be in.

Some other stuff that I looked at through the process of my final projects:



Rodrigo Simancas was born in Mexico City in 1987. His drawings are vibrant, trippy and a little psyched out. After studying intercultural management and development at UNAM, Simancas has become a pillar of Mexico City's DIY self-publishing scene, working on zines, t-shirts and more. He also helps organize the Zinamigos festival, an annual zine and comic fair.






Daniela Carvalho is a Peruvian illustrator living in Spain. Her pencil drawings serve as exercises in subtraction and abstraction, honing in on specific anatomical features and leaving the viewer's mind to fill in the blanks. The body parts she does choose to render are meticulous, viscerally and photorealistically detailed. Carvalho also works in painting, photography and collage.











'As a kid, Mitch Frey drew cars, goofy faces and trees... lots of trees. As a teenager, he moved on to unsolicited portraits of his teachers. After losing his camera on a Central America study tour, Mitch found himself sketching campesinos and wood fire stoves. 
 Over the next decade, Mitch studied social anthropology and facilitated experiential education in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Although he created posters and illustrations as part of this effort, his art was mostly sidelined. 

 n 1992, a life drawing class convinced him that a career in art would play to his greatest strengths. Mitch quit grad school and signed up for art classes. Within a couple of years, he went freelance.




Brett Flanigan is a bay area-based artist and muralist whose abstract, illustrative style draws from a set of self-imposed constraints that he designs for himself. This method of constraint and inspiration is drawn from a literary movement called "oulipo." Flanigan was born in 1986 in Great Falls, MT, and currently lives and works in Oakland, California.











Lily Padula is an illustrator born and raised in a beach town outside of New York City. She graduated from the School of Visual Arts and currently lives and works in Brooklyn with her tuxedo cat. These pieces come from a zine entitled "Aliens Exist." Using a miminal, yet essential color palate, the entire zine is moon-lit with an eerie alien blue-green glow. 





Raccoon Nook or simply Nook is a Brooklyn based designer and illustrator with a wide variety of illustrative styles. Currently working as the Art Director for Süperfad NYC, Nook has continued to work freelance showing his technical ability to follow through with a client's wishes. One consistent factor in all of Nook's work is his surprising display and understanding of depth. Some of his works even appear to be 3D to the naked eye.



F Choo is a 21 year old illustrator whose work makes brilliant usage of simple lineart and perfectly composed color palettes. Currently working out of Melbourne, Australia, F Choo works mostly in comics and illustrated books, preferring to tackle sequential work. F Choo also likes horror movies and bright colors.









Born in Connecticut, Johnny Dombrowski is an incredibly intricate and talented illustrator, now living in New York City, where he received a BFA degree in Illustration from the School of Visual Arts. His renderings and palettes are gorgeously complex, working with various perspectives and intriguing compositions. Dombrowski is well versed in both traditional and digital media and his skill level is apparent in his personal and commercial works.











Fredrik Rättzén is an artist and illustrator based in Kristianstad, Sweden. His painterly illustrations often possess political commentary, gesturing towards important social issues and provoking deeper contemplation about today's problems. Rattzen studied illustration at the Berghs School of Communication and The Art Department.











ANDY warhol




Som references used: 

































Photo taken by me in spain used for the guitar piece. 



These are just some of all the reference photos used for my illustrations. With this project I have really learned to use my tablet as a direct tool of drawing rather than tradionally pencil and then pen and then scan and then work digitally. Lines and artwork overall look more crisp but more digitally which I both like and dislike. 

But for me this project has been about learning and developing a skill that I feel I will have much use for in the future which has also been proved by some of the freelance work I have been given designing flyers and posters. Especially good for some quick hopefully well paid work in the future. 









All in all I really enjoyed this project. 




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar