First off I chose location and I decided that it would be Seven Kings were I recently (at the time) moved too. The area was unknown to me and I thought that this project would be a great way to see the surroundings. I head out with my Canon 350d and just started taking photos of anything I found vaguely interesting. I have hundreds of them but will give you a preview of some it.
For the major 2 prints out the 5 necessary I decided to do collages slightly influenced by an exhibition at the stolen space with "Word to mother" but more photograph based and for screen printing. Prior to this I had not made any screen prints with photography which I thought was interesting to develop as well as throwing in some hand drawn.
London-based artist Word To Mother was born and raised in an English seaside town. After attending art school for illustration, and with a background in graffiti, Word To Mother entered into the art world. Word To Mother creates work that combines many influences into uniquely layered paintings, often atop pieces of salvaged wood. Incorporating hand drawn personal sentiments, emotions and feelings that he executes in the form of loose script, inspired from his experience as a tattoo artist and tight sign written letters, drawn from years of painting graffiti.
Some other artists I looked out prior making my images.
Hannah Höch.
Höch’s most famous work, effortlessly titled ‘Cut with the Dada Kitchen Knife through the Last Weimar Beer-Belly Cultural Epoch in Germany’, shows her ideals and techniques in synthesis. A collage of newspaper clippings, the work challenges the racist and sexist codes upholding Weimar Germany. Throughout her career, Höch would challenge the marginalised place of women in twentieth century Germany
Nancy SperoNancy Spero’s engagement with political, social and cultural concerns throughout her career as an artist in New York is best illustrated in her collage on paper ‘Notes in Time’. Inspired by Grecian scrolls and the story of Troy, the frieze-like collage is comprised of twenty-four panels, each nine-feet long, punctuated by 96 quotations, including poetry by H.D., and multiple female figures. It is a grand non-narrative celebration of the female form, but also documents a female struggle against political stereotype.
Jesse TreeceUsing vintage magazines and books, Jesse Treece creates surreal and simple works, often using images of space and children to create an inimitable perspective on everyday life.
Dan Mather
Dan Mather is a London-based screen printer and graphic designer based in London. An independent artist who has collaborated with many London’s creative forefronts including Mash Creative and also this year’s earlier exhibition, Glory Glory, Dan Mather, promises to be a graphic artist who has pushed past the boundary between computer graphic design and hand-made screen printing.
Jim O’Raw
A print maker, contributor and in-house artist of People of Print, Jim O’Raw has worked alongside our director, Marcroy Smith, for over half decade. With his distinct style of using fluro colours in a CMYK process, Jim’s artwork promises to be original and provides the feel of looking at faded film-developed photos.
All photos used in my images are taken by me.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar